Thursday, October 06, 2005

Another reason I hate Gateway...

Here's the deal. Back when I thought that Gateway was a kind of OK company, despite all of my problems - see the previous post titled Angel of Mercy - I wasn't quite so adamant to my family and friends that they stay away from Gateway. So my mother, who actually works in the IT field, though with mainframe computer which she says are way different, purchased her cow. She bought it from CompUSA and also purchased thier extended warranty. She did this on October 4, 2004.

My mom enters a lot of contests and gets a lot of junkmail. She's also picked up some malware along the line somewhere. We've tried to clean it with spy ware removers and all kinds of anti-virus detection, but there is still something there, deep in the registry that is kind of disabling her virus detections. Every day, she gets a new trojan. Anyway, we decided that she needed a fresh start and that we would format her hard drive and reinstall her operating system.

So, I asked her where her Windows disc was. She said that CompUSA didn't give her any discs and that all of the restore software was on the hard drive. So, I looked at the hard drive. There are no partitions. So I called Gateway. They said that CompUSA should have provided her with a restore DVD. So I asked how I could obtain one. The answer? Well, since the computer was outside it's warranty period BY ONE DAY that she would have to send $20.00. Now, really, this is CompUSA's fault, but you'd think that Gateway could have provided a little customer service and sent out the disc.

Anyway, since mom had purchased an extended warranty through CompUSA - for the bargain price of $369.99, we decided that we should make use of it. Now, we had the original receipt and the brochure that describes the excellent service you'll have when you need your warranty. Do you know what the brocure doesn't supply? The phone number!! So I called the store it was purchased at. There was no answer. I left a message.

Because I was getting more and more agravated, I went to http://www.compusa.com, eager to find someone to vent at. I found a "Dial-a-Tech" and dialed one up. I get this guy who asks a bunch of questions about when I bought the computer. I told him one year and one very important day ago. He tells me that my mom had 90 days from the date of purchase to call and activate her warranty. Excuse me? One would think that the act of paying $369.99 would have activated it. No where on the brochure does it say that there is a 90 day deadline. No where on the web site does it say there is a 90 day deadline. Most importantly, nobody ever said, "thanks for the $369.99, you now have 90 days to activate the service you just payed through the nose for."

The guy went ahead and "activated" the warranty so I stopped some of my underbreath mumblings that sounded a lot like "they're all bastards. All of these computer people are in a league together - bastards!"

We finally get to the real reason I called. I told the guy that I needed to reinstall the OS and didnt' have the software. He asks me why I need to reinstall. I tell him that I need to get some malware off of it. He directs me to a website that will scan the system. Once that is completed 45 minutes later, we should call back and they will tell us how to clean the system. Um, yeah. That isn't why I called. Been there, done that. Need to reinstall. "So, how do I get the software that I was supposed to have been provided?" His answer? "Well, we don't have anything to do with that." Spiffy. Thanks for nuttin'.

Computer lemon law - Let's get one!!

4 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Jasper Johnson said...

I understand you problems, very bad disadvantage to buy a pc from a corporation. I have fixed Gateways, Dells, HPs, Compaq, IBM, and the worst piles Packard Bell. And Gateways and hard drives dont mix, in fact im fixing a Gateway Solo 1400 for a customer right now and the hard disk failed, so a ran the best peice of software out there (Spinrite 6.0) and for the first time in 10 years of using Spinrite I couldnt get the drive to work. So right now the drives in a freezer so tommarow I can try to rescue as much data as possible but it looks bleek. Gateway just uses the cheapest piles of crap ever. They also use the worst designs ever (replace all ports with usb and have cheap built in video non upgradeble except for a hard to find half hight PCI card. The biggest problem with that is only the newest devices worked with it and you could never use older things like PS/2 mice, keyboards and standard printers). Even worse they used windows Millenium Edition, the worst version of Windows ever!!!. Well my suggestion is next time find yourself a cheap neighborhood nerd kid, and get high quality components and have him build the computer for you (it will cost alot less also). I will only buy good quality components for my computer. ASUS or MSI motherboard $100 and 3year warrenty. Maxtor Hard Drive (western digital is good because every hard disk i get may fail because of my hard use but it is replaced pretty quick 3yr warrenty). Also if you have a computer built for you you can use your current monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, speakers, so you dont have to pay that much. my computer which is new, with a flat screen display only cost around 700-800 dollars all together.

Well i should stop boring yall to death, but i just needed to post since i saw your complaint after doing a google search. BTW I bet most of the gateway techs sounded like they should be taking orders at mcdonalds instead.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Jerry said...

ha, i bought a gateway. it arrived broken out of the box, i sent it in 4 times they finally said they'd replace it because it was broken 4 times and they failed to fix the problem. then i get the replacement and a year later the hinge (i have the c120x tablet) shears off and they tell me it will cost $200 i tell them i have accidental they tell me no your old one did so they transfer me and end up telling me bc i got the new laptop i used my old warranty. extremely tired of having to deal with incompetent people i hang up and file a complaint with the BBB. I hear apple doesn't pull this bullshit when you get their warranty.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Squirrel Girl said...

Funny, I typed in "I hate Gateway" and your blog showed up. Well, I'm out $1,000 thanks to a-hole Gateway. I bought it from Best Buy. I don't know which has the worst customer service. Less than 30 days after having it the operating system starts acting crazy. I took it to best buy and they told me it was a virus and it had completely destroyed my OS and I needed to contact Gateway. What a freakin' joke. I "talked" to some douche from India who could barely speak English. I was told the OS disks would be sent at no charge. Never got them. Called, and called and called and emailed and emailed. Notta. I finally purchased the stupid CD's TWO FREAKIN' WEEKS AGO. Still haven't gotten them. I hate you Gateway. Eff You!!!! Back to regularly scheduled programming. One more thing, is it really that difficult to provide a good product and wait, OMG customer service?????

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Lisa Nguyen said...

i really hate gateway desktop also. ive just recently got one and its always slow lagging on every single website i go to and now im not sure if i can even return this stupid piece of junk. i havent even use it that much and now its going extremley slow and uugghhh this computer drive me nuts. Always having a problem. even when i first got it home i was having so much problem with just getting it to connect to my wifi OMG i hate Gateway with. They ave the worse service always sending to a stupid machine if i dont get to return this shit im selling it on ebay.god this is bullshit i should have spent an extra $100 bucks and bought the HP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home