Friday, September 30, 2005

More Mobo Mojo

I was pretty upset when I got home with my computer. I vowed that there was no way they were going to make me pay for a bad mobo because of an operating system upgrade. I got on my husband’s computer (which coincidently is a Dell and has never had a problem in the 4 years he’s owned it,) and wrote an email to Gateway asking them about the status of my warranty. While I waited for an answer, I installed XP again to see if doing that could solve the USB issue. What do you know? The USB ports still don’t work. Looks like it really is a bad mobo. Luckily, the 1-800 people had already shipped the replacement, so it looked like I was going to be up and running again soon.

I was leery of ever returning to a Gateway Country store again, so I had the geekiest of my techie friends come over to help me with the new motherboard. We put Humpty Dumpty back together again, pressed the button and… cue dramatic music… nothing. In fact, I have a theory that Gateway just sent my original bad motherboard back to me. After a lot of cursing and tantrum throwing, I called the 1-800 people again. They never apologized, but they did assure me that mobo number 3 would be sent. In the mean time, I did receive an email back from Gateway assuring me that I had not voided my warranty by installing XP and that the motherboards were most assuredly covered under my warranty. Yippee. I could now take my computer back to Gateway to fix. Joy.

This is when I made a decision that I would later learn to regret.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home